Monday, April 22, 2013

Chained to the Bench

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NDuBvVhQbE

This short video performance is about a drunk driving accident which occurred a little more than a year ago. I was involved as a pedestrian and was hit about 45 mph by a Chevy SUV. It was more than a miracle to myself to walk away with a concussion among some bumps and bruises which go away, and at that point I thought to myself how much more I had to live for. I think about it everyday, and its definitely important for each person to count their blessings each day. While I was in the back of the ambulance I thought everything that I worked so hard to achieve was just taken away from me, without any warning. This performance exemplifies how I am literally chained to the bench, as the accident took away a lot from my lacrosse career, and it should have taken more than that from what the Doctor told me in the emergency room. I am holding a sign, which is actually written on the back of my resume, for a job which I hoped to pursue after graduation, I wrote on the back my birthday, and the date of the accident. I also wrote a few brief notable thoughts about my family and personal life to show people the importance of the drunk driving issue, I was trying to get across the idea of what someone could be potentially taking away if they choose to drive drunk. I enjoyed this piece, even though I got a couple weird looks. However, I did notice people reading the sign and understanding the cause as I sat patiently waiting for the bus, but ultimately I could have been chained for life.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the idea was a good one, but it would have been better if it was on a corner where people actually walked around where you can see people's reactions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty intense performance art piece. The fact that you got hit by a Chevy SUV and survived to play college lacrosse is unreal. For this piece it does make sense to be by traffic, but I agree with Lindsay in that it would have been a little better if more people were walking by to interact with you.

    ReplyDelete